Join Jala, Briar and Raúl as they discuss the rampant phenomenon of fatphobia as well as the disordered eating which may follow. They share personal stories and methods by which to heal the damage.
CONTENT WARNING: talk of eating disorders between 1:45:40 - 2:17:31
A Short Bibliography - books the hosts of this show read prior to this episode, which we recommend:
- Fearing the Black Body by Sabrina Strings
- Body Respect by Linda/Lindo Bacon (author is trans; in the publishing world both names are credited)
- Health At Every Size by Linda/Lindo Bacon (author is trans; in the publishing world both names are credited)
- The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf
- The Body is Not an Apology by Sonya Renee Taylor
- What We Don’t Talk About When We Talk About Fat by Aubrey Gordon
- Fat Talk: Parenting in the Age of Diet Culture by Virginia Sole-Smith
- The Maintenance Phase podcast
- The Significance of Sarah Baartman
- Origins and evolution of Body Mass Index (BMI)
- What Are Eating Disorders?
- Disordered Eating Vs Eating Disorders
- Washington court: Obesity covered by antidiscrimination law
- Weighed Down By Discrimination
Support this show via Ko-fi! Just like Patreon, there are subscription tiers (with bonus content!) in addition to the ability to drop us a one-time donation. Every little bit helps us put out better quality content and keep the lights on, and gets a shout out in a future episode. Check out ko-fi.com/fireheartmedia for the details!
Don't forget to rate & review us on your podcasting platform of choice~
Raúl, like many guests, may be found primarily on the Jala-chan's Place Discord. If interested in joining please shoot Jala a message on your platform of choice.
Raúl would like to signal boost Victualiv vitamins which are specially formulated for vegans, those curious about plant-based nutrition, and anyone in transition. They are the vitamins that both Jala and Dave use! Definitely check them out!